Born and raised in Queens, New York, Joe Campanale became most inspired by the culinary diversity of city life during his studies at New York University. Through studies at home and while studying abroad in Madrid and Florence, Joe took a more alternative approach to his education, earning school credit working in the kitchen at Union Square Café and writing a series of articles about his endeavors and working a wide array of jobs in the food and wine industry. Joe joined Italian Wine Merchants as an intern while still an undergraduate, where he met his future business partners, August Cardona and Katherine Thompson.
While completing his Masters degree in the Food Studies program at NYU, he worked at the International Wine Center with Master of Wine Mary Ewing-Mulligan and later for premier Italian wine importer, Vinifera Imports. His sincere love for the hospitality industry led him back into restaurants as sommelier at Mario Batali’s Babbo shortly after his 23rd birthday. Later that year, in October 2007, Joe, Chefs Gabe and Katherine Thompson and August Cardona opened the intimate West Village restaurant dell’anima, where he continues to serve as Beverage Director and Partner.
At their second restaurant, L’Artusi (opened December 2008), he has doubled the amount of bottles on the wine list and offered a number of Italian microbrews and signature cocktails. Mr. Campanale was thrilled to have the opportunity to highlight some of his favorite niche wines in May of 2010 when they opened their third place, Anfora, a wine bar focusing on natural wines.
Joe has written about wine for various media outlets, such as Beverage Media, and has appeared on television shows including NBC’s Today Show, Rachael Ray and Martha Stewart. He has earned a Diploma in Wines and Spirits, Advanced Degree with Distinction and Profession Certification in Spirits from the Wine and Spirit Education Trust, was named a Certified Wine Specialist and Certified Wine Educator by the Society of Wine Educators and received Certified Sommelier distinction from the Court of Master Sommeliers.
He has been on several 30 Under 30 lists including Forbes, Restaurant Hospitality and Zagat. Joe grew up in Queens, NY, but now lives in the West Village, and is a marathon runner.
Awards & Certifications
- Accepted into the Master of Wine program
- Conde Nast Traveler Hot List, L’Artusi
- Conde Nast Traveler Hot List, dell’anima
- Master’s Degree, New York University, Food Studies
- Diploma in Wines and Spirits, Wine and Spirit Education Trust
- Professional Certificate in Spirits, Wine and Spirit Education Trust
- Certified Wine Educator, Society of Wine Educators
- Certified Sommelier, Court of Master Sommeliers
- Bachelor’s Degree, New York University European Studies
- Certified Wine Specialist, Society of Wine Educators
- Advanced Certificate with Distinction, Wine and Spirit Education Trust
- An Adult Sparkler for the Holiday
- West Coast Sparklers
- The Many Faces of Rioja
- After Dinner Boost
- Kentucky’s Finest
- Hold the Lime